What kind of house do I want?
Where do I want to live?
Consider your family's needs.
- Municipality, area, and neighbourhood
- Distance to work
- Distance to school
- Distance to community and commercial services
How much can I afford?
Consider your combined household income. Remember, commission and part-time income are treated differently. You'll have to talk to your mortgage lender about how much you can borrow based on your income and assets.
Consider your family's lifestyle. Consider how much money you can devote each month to mortgage payments and housing costs without effecting the quality of that lifestyle.
- Down payment
- Mortgage payments
- Monthly services (hydro, heating, maintenance)
- Yearly services (taxes, insurance, repairs and renovations)
What type of home do I want?
- Townhouse or condo
- Single family, semi-detached, multi-family
What's the maximum age I want the house to be?
- Heritage home
- Older home with renovation possibilities
- Modern home
- New home
What size home do I want?
Consider how many people will be living in the home and what furniture and appliances you will bring from your old house.
- Square footage
- Lot size
- Number of bedrooms
- Number of bathrooms
- Allowance for an addition, in-law suite, or garage
What extra features do I want?
- Finished or unfinished basement
- Deck or patio
- Type of heating and insulation
- Family room or den
- Laundry room or pantry
- Central air conditioning
- Central vacuum
- Hardwood floors or carpets
- Appliances included
<-- return to list of questions
next question -->